I want to get more comfortable with CW QSOs. I can do a 599 contest or special event QSO without thinking but I bumble around, feel the nerves and basically suck at sending nice clean Morse in a more conversational QSO.
I need more learning and more practice and it feels like that learning needs to be social.
So I’m setting myself a goal.. I want to make at least one real CW QSO per day in 2019. The more rag-chewy the better. So here are my rules:
- Speed doesn’t matter. Good sending does matter.
- Focus on the art of a good conversation, warmth and connection.
- If I miss a day then make it up in the following couple of days. This allows for days away from radios completely etc.
- Contests like CQWW or CWOps CWTs count as one QSO the only.
- The point is to enquire and learn about myself and improve my CW. No slavish adherence to rules is needed.
Other CW learning
I also need to do sending practice. I’m still thinking too hard about straight key and paddle sending. And I’m still enjoy doing an ARRL Morse practice mp3 file at 25 or 30wpm every couple of days for receiving practice.